Monday, October 20, 2008

Dinner Exchange Kick-Off!

Today marks the official kick-off to our Dinner Exchange! To sum up the program - I cook dinner for a friend and her family on Monday (today) and next Monday she will cook for us. Nice huh? I think so too!

On the menu: Chicken Paprika served over a bed of jasmine rice.

So, armed with a bunch of chicken breasts, cream of mushroom soup, bell peppers, onions, seasonings etc., I set off in my dinner preparations! Now, it is no secret that I enjoy working in the kitchen (and by working, I mean cooking - not cleaning!) but I can honestly say that cooking for someone else's family really makes me happy! I love knowing that people are actually eating the food that I prepared - unlike my children. But I digress...

Back to me and my love for cooking - I love hearing praises over what a fantastic chef I am and how I really should have my own cooking show. I love when people beg me for recipes which I willingly hand over knowing that their version will never be as good as mine.... Uh - did I really just write that??? Hahahaha!!!! I am only teasing! I really do love cooking for other people. Call me a freak. Call me a dork. I am the first to admit it! For me, cooking for other people makes the whole cooking process so much more fun - which makes the Dinner Exchange even better! I get to cook for other people and in return, I don't have to cook every other Monday! Works for me!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It's an awesome idea! So glad you came up with it, and THRILLED to get to enjoy the fantastic meal! You ARE an awesome cook, and I do believe that no one else can do it like you do! The meal was perfect, and even Mike (who is VERY picky) had seconds...this is rare! I also packed some up to take to work tomorrow, I am going to have an awesome lunch! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I know I can't top it but I will have something for you all next week!

Kim said...

You both can cook for me and my crew anytime you like! I will gladly ask for recipes, give kudos and send thank you notes!

The chicken did sound amazing! Maybe you should post the blog during your cooking week with the recipe.

p.s. what is Jasmine rice
p.s.s. how much did everyone love the cakes at the reception.

nini said...

Meli - you are a nut! I was totally kidding about the praises!

Kim - Jasmine rice (aka basmati rice) is a long grain rice. It is creamy, delicious and it cooks in only 8-10 minutes!

As far as the cakes went - they went over really well! The strawberry one was gone soon after it was set out. The chocolate one got eaten but at a slower pace given how rich it was. Overall - I think they were a hit!