Monday, January 12, 2009

You Find Out Who Your Friends Are...

You know how there are times in life that kind of sucker punch you in the gut? You go into a situation prepared and from nowhere you are hit by something that feels like a runaway truck? Today - something like that happened to me.


This morning I, along with 4/5 of my book club girls, attended a funeral for a truly amazing woman. I didn't personally know her but felt a need to show support to her surviving daughter - an incredible woman in her own right. I had no idea how this service would impact me but it did in ways I could not have imagined. As soon as Amazing Grace started being sung, I knew I was in trouble. I grabbed onto the arm of my dear friend and held on tight. When I turned and saw the casket, I found it hard to keep my emotions in check. The finality of it all just hit me like a rock.


It is times like these that you really appreciate those people who you call your closest friends. The ones who run along side you when life is moving fast, those who walk along side you when you need it and those who carry you when your strength seems to have disappeared.


At the end of the service, when the pallbearers made their way back down the center aisle, I felt this warm hand wrap around my arm. It wasn't there to point out my weakness. It was there to tell me that I wasn't alone in this. It was okay to be upset and to be emotional. It was okay to be a little frightened. It was all okay because that hand that was wrapped around my arm would be there to help me through all of it.


As I looked down the pew at the three beautiful women next to me, I knew. It was clear as day. I know who my friends are (whether you were with me today or not) and I am so thankful for each and every one of you.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Nini, I'm sorry this a.m. was so tough on you. You have the most tender heart and it's full of compassion too. I'm sorry I couldn't be there with all you dear ones, but someone had to hold down the fort at m! You have great friends because YOU are a great friend! Love you so much!

Kim said...

What dear friends you are to me in embracing my friend as your own. I know that I was blessed and I'm sure it was a comfort for Denise as well. Without our friends where would we be?

Chris and Tasha said...

Well Said sister

susie said...

We have to support each other in even the smallest of ways...you have been there for me too! We needed each other and God knew that even before we were born! Amazing Grace wasn't that!

Kimi Jo said...

Wow! You made me cry. What an amazing feeling. I agree with the others, you are an amazing woman. Your heart is huge & God shines through you. You have always had a special place in my heart. I truly believe that God puts people in our lives for reasons sometimes that we may never know. I am thankful that he gave you to me. I just wish I saw you more!

Melissa said...

Just had to say, I love you! Also wanted to point out that this is the sixth comment and all by real, individuals. See, more than three people ARE reading this blog! :-)

Denise K. said...

What a beautiful post Nini! I have been so behind on blogging and just now had a chance to come by and visit and get caught up on "Nini's World." I can't thank you enough for coming to my mom's funeral on Monday. It was wonderful to meet you in person, and to know that you were all there, to support me, a virtual stranger, yet a blogging friend through our dear friend Kim. Thank you so much for giving up your day, taking time off of work, to be there. I will never forget your kindness! Love, Denise in Colorado :-)

klaibers said...

NiniSolini ... I have no idea what I am doing, cuz I've never done this blogging thing! I finally got to visit your "world", and I must say, I am glad to be even the tiniest part of it! Thank you for your thoughts on friendship. I felt like I was evesdropping on a very personal and sacred experience, but thank you for sharing it. I, too, am so very grateful for the amazing and wonderful women I call my closest friends - an elite, and not so huge, group of which you are a part! Love you, my friend. Bev