Friday, November 14, 2008

Oh, Dear Heaven...

Have you ever been in one of those situations when time actually seems to go backwards? Today, I had the pleasure of attending a performance of The Music Man with Markie and the rest of his 2nd grade class. I had been looking forward to this all week. Had I known ahead of time what I was in store for, I would have made plans to be busy - busy doing laundry, busy scrubbing toilets, busy shoving bamboo up my fingernails.


With three extremely bored 8 year old boys next to me and the lord of the dance behind me kicking my chair, it was no wonder I was checking my watch every two minutes - a fact that was pointed out to me during the performance. About halfway through I told the three boys to go ahead and take a nap if they wanted to while I found myself praying that God would kill me now. Thankfully God did not answer that prayer at that moment. Instead, I was blessed with just enough patience and energy to make it to the closing of the performance.


Once we had exited the theater, I asked the Markie if he wanted to see it again. He responded with a "NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!" I couldn't agree more!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Was it bad? Too long? I'm anxious to hear.....

There's trouble in river city

Kimi Jo said...

Dear Friend,
2 weeks ago I stayed in town (while my husband & son went to Oregon) to attend a play with a friend. I took 3 of my children including the wee one. I paid more than I wanted to of course but thought it worth it to spend spend time with my children that was not attending a sporting event. WELL, I was very lost in the first half of this play, I just couldnt understand it!!!! The wee one must have been confused as well :) because she decided that the entire 2nd half we needed to spend in the lobby, going up & down the stairs. I needed the exercise & I understood her baby jibberish! I tell you all of this my dear friend because I too was supposed to go to the play with 3rd grade today...I stayed home. I did not go. I did not chase a toddler up & down the stairs while not understanding the story!! I thank you for giving of yourself because some of us (me) just could not!

Melissa said...

So sorry to hear about your bad play experience. I got a really good laugh out of reading about if that is any consolation to you!